Registered Clinical Psychologist & Cognitive Analytic Therapist
- 021 060 4992
- PO Box 340-051, Northcote, Auckland
Allyson qualified as a clinical psychologist in 1998 from University College, London. Following graduation Allyson worked in the UK in mental health services for older people and adults presenting with severe and enduring mental health difficulties in both inpatient and community settings. She also worked in private practice and was involved in the teaching and training of clinical psychologists. She emigrated to New Zealand in 2004 and has worked as a Consultant Clinical Psychologist with Mental Health Services in DHB’s. She currently works in private practice. Allyson completed a post graduate diploma in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) in 2002, is a registered practitioner with the Association for Cognitive Analytic Therapy and has been involved in teaching this model in the UK and New Zealand.
- Allyson is integrative in her approach and works from a developmental and relational perspective. As such, she works collaboratively with clients to help best make sense of their current difficulties in the context of their life history, experiences and relationships.
- She draws on different models of therapy, but particularly Cognitive Analytic, Emotion Focused and Attachment theory as well as utilising Cognitive Behavioural approaches, to assist clients in making desired changes and achieving their goals.
Areas of Specialization
- Working with individuals and couples offering psychological assessment and interventions for a wide range of presenting mental health, emotional and relational difficulties.
- Offering Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), a time limited and effective model aimed at identifying, understanding and changing repeated, unhelpful or self- limiting patterns in people’s behaviour and relationships. Such patterns can underpin difficulties such as depression, anxiety, lack of self-confidence and damaging behaviours as well as difficulties in relating in intimate, social and professional relationships. These patterns can often have their roots in early experiences where certain ways of relating to others, dealing with emotions and ways of coping may have been learnt. The therapy offers the opportunity to develop new insight and learn new skills to help break these patterns.
- A strong interest and specialist experience in working with older clients and the issues presenting in later life.
- Registered provider of psychological services for ACC and an interest in working with trauma.
- Accredited Sex Therapist and co-director of Sex Therapy New Zealand providing therapy for individuals and couples expereincing around sexual and intimacy concerns.
- Providing supervision, consultation, teaching and training for psychologists, counsellors, psychotherapists and other health professionals.
- Currently undertaking training and accreditation in Emotion Focussed Therapy for Couples (EFT) a proven short-term therapy model based on attachment theory and aimed at identifying negative interactional patterns between partners, enhancing emotional connection and communication and facilitating the development of new ways of relating.
Fees are $190 per 60 minute session (inc GST)
Payment by cheque or cash is required at the time of the session. 24 hours notice is required for all sessions cancelled. Sessions cancelled with less than 24 hours notice or not attended will be charged at 50%
Allyson’s practice abides by ethical guidelines in line with The New Zealand Psychologist’s Board and membership of the New Zealand Psychological Society (NZPS) and College of Clinical Psychologists (NZCCP).
Making an Appointment
Please phone Allyson directly for further discussion. Please leave a voice message if your call is not answered, all calls will be returned promptly. Referrals can also be accepted by email.
- 021 060 4992