Registered Clinical Psychologist & Cognitive Analytic Therapist
- 021 060 4992
- PO Box 340-051, Northcote, Auckland
Allyson qualified as a clinical psychologist in 1998 from University College, London. Allyson worked in the UK in mental health services for older people and adults presenting with severe and enduring mental health difficulties in both inpatient and community settings. She also worked in private practice and was involved in the teaching and training of clinical psychologists. She emigrated to New Zealand in 2004 and has worked as a Consultant Clinical Psychologist with Mental Health Services in DHB’s. She currently works in private practice. Allyson completed a postgraduate diploma in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) in 2002, is a registered practitioner and supervisor with the Association for Cognitive Analytic Therapy. She is a trainer and co-director of NZCAT and an executive board member of ANZACT.
- Allyson is integrative in her approach and works from a developmental and relational perspective. As such, she works collaboratively with clients to help best make sense of their current difficulties in the context of their life history, experiences and relationships.
- She uses different models of therapy, but particularly Cognitive Analytic, EMDR and Attachment informed approaches as well as utilising Cognitive Behavioural approaches, to assist clients in making desired changes and achieving their goals.
Areas of Specialization
- Working with individuals and couples offering psychological assessment and interventions for a wide range of presenting mental health, emotional and relational difficulties.
- Offering Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), a time-limited and effective model aimed at identifying, understanding and changing repeated, unhelpful or self-limiting patterns in people’s behaviour and relationships. Such patterns can underpin difficulties such as depression, anxiety, lack of self-confidence and damaging behaviours as well as difficulties in relating in intimate, social and professional relationships. These patterns can often have their roots in early experiences where certain ways of relating to others, dealing with emotions and ways of coping may have been learnt. The therapy offers the opportunity to develop new insight and learn new skills to help break these patterns.
- A strong interest and specialist experience in working with older clients and the issues presenting in later life.
- A strong interest in trauma and is a provider of psychological services for ACC
- Sex Therapist and co-director of Sex Therapy New Zealand providing therapy for individuals and couples experiencing sexual and intimacy concerns.
- Couples therapist utilising the Developmental Model and Emotion Focussed Therapy for Couples (EFT)
- Providing supervision, consultation, teaching and training for psychologists, counsellors, psychotherapists and other health professionals in the area of sexuality and CAT.
Fees are $215 per 60 minute session (inc GST)
Payment by bank transfer. 24 hours notice is required for all sessions cancelled. Sessions cancelled with less than 24 hours notice will be charged for.
Allyson’s practice abides by ethical guidelines in line with The New Zealand Psychologist’s Board and membership of the New Zealand Psychological Society (NZPS) and College of Clinical Psychologists (NZCCP).
Making an Appointment
Please phone Allyson directly for further discussion. Referrals can also be accepted by email.
- 021 060 4992